Mother’s Day is traditionally associated with families gathering to honor special members through shared meals, experiences, gifts and celebrations. But how can we still make the day special for moms when we have to keep our distance for health and safety?
We’ve compiled a list of tons of ways you can celebration Mother’s Day safely from a social distance while still making the holiday super-special for the moms in your life!
Ideas to Celebrate a Safe and Socially Distant Mother's Day
Featured Event : Virtual Shopping Party at Kendra Scott
Join us for a Virtual Shopping Party with Kendra Scott to Benefit Feeding Wisconsin!
We’ve turned to our local Kendra Scott store for affordable, gorgeous gifts of jewelry that every mom will love for a while now and we’re not going to let social distancing stop us! In fact, let’s shop together AND benefit a great cause!
Better yet, invite your mom to join you for the virtual shopping event and chat over Zoom or FaceTime while you scroll through the gorgeous jewelry, enjoy a beverage, and more!
WHEN: April 29th and 30th
WHERE: https://virtualgivebackfeedingwi.splashthat.com/ + hang out virtually with us in the Facebook Event HERE!
WHAT: An online shopping event where you can shop for gorgeous jewelry and 20% of sales are donated back to Feeding Wisconsin
Shop for good online with 20% of all proceeds from purchases made on kendrascott.com using the code: GIVEBACK7432 at checkout will directly benefit Feeding Wisconsin.
Make sure to use the code GIVEBACK7432 to ensure that 20% of your purchase goes to Feeding Wisconsin!
Local Gift Ideas
Now more than ever, local small businesses need our support. Mother’s Day is the perfect time to curate a personalized gift basket from Milwaukee small shops and businesses. Even if you don’t select particular items, grabbing a gift card can make a huge impact!
Local Gift Ideas for Mother’s Day
- A Style Edit from Wantable for some new “Coming Out of Quarantine” items for her wardrobe that AREN’T leggings or sweatpants
- Jewelry or a gorgeous Tea Infuser Bottle from Swoon
- Hand-poured candle from Big White Yeti. We personally love the Kitten Toots and Shave and a Haircut!
- A Milwaukee Mama sweatshirt from Raising Good. Literally the softest, most comfy sweatshirt you’ve ever experienced.
- Intensive Healing Balm from Nourish Natural Products. All that hand-washing and the cold wind lately has left hands RAW.
- A CSA Membership to Scales Family Farm so she can count on fresh produce post-quarantine!
- An Art Print from Silo and Sage, perfect for framing to send your love.
- Literally any chocolate from Indulgence Chocolatiers
- Send a beautiful bouquet of flowers from Flowers for Dreams or Jane Kelly Floral (who teamed up with Cake Lady Designs to offer a Mother’s Day cake!)
- Grab a beautiful neighborhood print from James Steeno Gallery, the perfect idea to commemorate a Mothers Day in quarantine!
- Mother’s Day Card Kit from Little Sprouts Play Cafe
Gift Cards Moms Will Love:
Food and Beverage Gifts
One of the ways we can continue to support local small businesses and also enjoy celebrations together with one another (virtually!), is by enjoying curbside pickup or delivery of local restaurants! There are TONS of options here depending on where you live, but here’s a few creative options for Mother’s Day in particular that would be a great way to celebrate.
Food and Beverage Celebrations for Mother’s Day
- Pick up chips and salsa from BelAir Cantina and the ingredients needed to make the perfect margaritas. Schedule a virtual call to enjoy Cinco de Mayo or Happy Hour with Mom!
- Do an online cooking class together
- Order Mom a subscription to a meal delivery service like The Real Good Life to help take dinner off her plate
- Deliver Mother’s Day Brunch! Check out local restaurants that do brunch pickup/delivery and mimosas.
- Pick up a special occasion cake from your local bakery, a dozen special donuts from your local donut shop, or maybe even bake something special and bring it to Mom so you can enjoy your treats “together.”
- Hatched MKE is taking Mother’s Day pie orders through May 5th, so treat Mom to something especially yummy and order now!
- Breakfast in Bed, delivered to her door! Pick up a fancy crafted coffee and baked goods from your local coffee shop and drop it off for her to enjoy first thing in the morning!
- Send brew-at-home coffee or cold brew to her house from Stone Creek Coffee
- Send an InstaCake Card! A greeting card, sent in the mail, that includes everything the recipient needs to make an individual sized cake quickly and easily!
Games + Interactive Play
In the age of the Internet, we have LOTS of options for enjoying interactive play and social time with our friends and family, even when we are physically distant. Mother’s Day will be a perfect opportunity to try out these fun ways to “hang out” and celebrate together….while separate.
- HouseParty – This free app has been exploding in recent weeks and for good reason! You and your friends/family download the app on your phone, tablet, or computer and can see one another over video while playing fun games like Heads Up!, Chips & Guac, Trivia and more!
- Games like Taboo!, Catch-Phrase, and Speak Out make for hilarious and super fun games to play with family over video chat.
- Virtual Concert or Dance Party! Have the kids create a special skit, parody or song for Mom and perform it for her over video. Play instruments, throw a dance party, anything that shows off your creativity and makes Mom smile.
Acts of Service + Displays of Support
Quite often, nothing says I LOVE YOU more than a display of support or gifts that are acts of service. Even in times of distance, these gestures will speak volumes.
Acts of Service + Displays of Support
- Surprise Mom with a “Chalk the Walk” display! Cover her driveway or sidewalk with gorgeous chalk art that sends messages of love. Write out a list of “Reasons We Love Mom/Grandma” and have the kiddos trace their handprints to sign it!
- In House Acts of Service – Moms are overwhelmed right now and stretched to the MAX. Kids and partners can team up to make her day extra special by taking all the things off her plate. Order dinner, clean the house, handle the grocery pickup, take the kids for a walk so she can take an uninterrupted shower, let her sleep in, etc.
- Does Mom recharge with a great book? Give the gift of a subscription to the Book of the Month Club! This subscription service sends a fantastic hardcover book each month, selected from five options carefully selected by the BOTM editors, so the member can count on a fabulous new book each and every month! Use our referral link to get your first book for just $5!
- Take a Front Porch family photo (even just with your phone is great!) and use that image to send a framed photo to Mom or even get a personalized family photo puzzle created!
- Little kids can create a Coupon Book of little chores, treats, outings, etc. that can be used both now and when we are no longer having to stay socially distanced.
- Make a Bold Statement with a big Yard Sign! Surprise Mom and order a big greeting to display in their yard that tells the whole world they’re the best mom ever!