Milwaukee Winter Break is here! The hustle of the holiday is over, the gifts are unwrapped, the house is a disaster and the leftovers are running out…..but the kids will be home from school for so. many. more. days. What’s a burned out parent to do? Luckily, we’ve got lots of options to keep our families entertained and having fun over Milwaukee Winter Break in the greater Milwaukee area!
The team at Milwaukee Mom is working hard to remain your go-to spot for parenting resources in the Greater Milwaukee Area. While we will do our best to be as up-to-date as possible, please be aware that we are still dealing with changes related to the COVID-19 Pandemic. Please consult your local public health authority for social distancing recommendations and call ahead to confirm the hours and offerings of any business or organization listed.
Milwaukee Winter Break Activity Ideas
1. Go to the Movies
Looking for something to do once the gifts are open and there are still plenty of days left before the kiddos go back to school? Spend Milwaukee Winter Break at the movies! Our friends at Marcus Theatres are here to help! Check out this list of must-see family films, then head to your nearest theatre for a fun and relaxing escape. Be sure to purchase tickets in advance, as social distancing regulations have limited seating capacity.
- Animated: The Crood: A New Age
- Adventure: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallow Part 1&2
- Musical: Frozen
- Drama: The Guardians of the Galaxy
- FIND YOUR LOCAL MARCUS THEATRE AND SHOWTIMES.
2. Find some Family-friendly NYE Fun
After the exhaustion of the holidays, who really wants to stay up until midnight on New Year’s Eve?! Instead, check out our list of fabulous Milwaukee New Year’s Eve Celebrations for Kids that will get you to bed at a much more reasonable hour.
- Noon Year’s Eve at Lil’ Kickers – In-Bounds Training Center *No information for 2020 yet. Check back for details*
- Kid Boogie Down Noon Year’s Eve Party – Bavarian Bierhaus *No information for 2020 yet. Check back for details*
- Big Backyard NYE Party – New Berlin *No information for 2020 yet. Check back for details*
- Cheers Around the World Spy Mission at the SafeHouse – Milwaukee *No information for 2020 yet. Check back for details*
- Stonefire Pizza NYE Party – New Berlin *No information for 2020 yet. Check back for details*
- Harlem Globetrotters at Fiserv Forum – Milwaukee *No information for 2020 yet. Check back for details*
3. Go for a Swim or Play at the Water Park!
Even though the weather may not be exactly frightful, Winter Break is the perfect time to bust out the goggles and get in some fun Water Play! If you’re in the mood for waterslides and rides, head out to the Ingleside Hotel in Pewaukee and consider the waterpark package that includes access to Country Christmas, the largest drive-through holiday light display in the area! Just want to splash around with your kiddo?
Check out a Family Swim at Goldfish Swim School in Brookfield on Friday, December 27th from 6:30 to 8:00 pm. *Closed for the 2020-2021 Season* Make sure you remember to REGISTER HERE!
4. Go Bowling!
A very popular option over Milwaukee Winter Break and on New Year’s Eve, bowling is always a hit for families. If you’ve never tried Mini Bowling with your kids, we highly recommend reserving a lane at The Thirsty Duck to give it a go….kids love it! You’ll find locations in Wauwatosa and Sussex. *Closed for the 2020-2021 Season*
Another popular bowling destination for families is JB’s on 41 where “glow bowling” is a big hit! If you are still looking for NYE plans, book your lanes and party package in advance for an epic party! *No information for 2020 yet. Check back for details*
5. Grab Skates and Hit the Rinks!
Whether roller skates or ice skates are more your style, there are lots of options in the Milwaukee Area for both! With the weather all goofy this year (hello, record-setting high temperatures!), you might be better off looking for an indoor ice skating option like the Pettit Center or Eble Ice Arena. No matter what you prefer, skating is a great way to enjoy active play over Winter Break! * No information for 2020 yet. Check back for details*
6. Try a New Indoor Play Place
Sometimes we need to get out of the house and have fun and get the kids in an environment to burn off some energy! Luckily, we in the greater Milwaukee Area are blessed with some fantastic indoor playgrounds and awesome attractions for kids that you can still visit when the weather is bad. A few of our favorites include:
7. Learn and Explore at a Milwaukee Museum
Milwaukee’s many museums are both fun AND educational. You can feel awesome about yourself for bringing your kids to one of these indoor playgrounds for the mind! A few of our favorite suggestions for kids include:
- The Milwaukee Art Museum – The Milwaukee Art Museum offers a variety of engaging programs and resources for families with kids. Families can paint, sculpt, draw, or sketch in the Kohl’s Art Generation Studio any day the Museum is open. Check out the Holiday Hours and Plan Your Visit HERE.
- Betty Brinn Children’s Museum – Our local children’s museum has a full lineup of events over Winter Break, including a New Year’s Eve party! *Closed for 2020-21 season*
- Milwaukee Public Museum – Virtual exhibits available, plus explore the streets of Old Milwaukee, find the hidden snake buttons, surround yourself with butterflies, and more! There is always something new to discover at the Milwaukee Public Museum!