Have you jumped on the Instant Pot bandwagon? This modernized pressure cooker is the hot kitchen appliance du jour and it seems like everyone and their sister has one on their counter. Those who have one have even created a whole community devoted to sharing tips and recipes to maximize their pressure cooking potential. And trust me, this is NOT your mother’s pressure cooker! No need for any nightmares you may have of it flying off your counter and shooting through the roof. In fact, this may be the most versatile gadget my kitchen has ever encountered.
A quick Pinterest search will bring you hundreds of fun recipes to try, but today I want to share with you my number one favorite thing to make in the Instant Pot — Beef Stew! Pin the recipe to your Pinterest board and print it out to enjoy with your family.
My Favorite Instant Pot Beef Stew
We used to make Ina Garten’s recipe for beef stew and while it is super-delicious, it really took a long long time to make, so we played around with that recipe until it was perfected for my new favorite appliance. The Instant Pot has totally revolutionized how we make this warm, comforting dish, and we’ll never go back!
Note: The first couple times I made this stew, I used the wine pictured above but have since found JOEL GOTT CABERNET to be the perfect wine to use for a rich, savory flavor. Just my personal preference! Find a bold red you love and experiment!
Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Instant Pot
- 2 lbs Beef Stew Meat
- 16 oz Bold Red Wine (Joel Gott Cabernet is my fave for this!)
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1/3 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 large onion
- 1 lb carrots, chopped
- 1 lb small yellow or white potatoes, halved or quartered
- 3 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 fresh rosemary branches
- 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt, to taste
- Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Chop your stew beef up into large bite-sized hunks or cubes.
- Separate the beef into two batches for a 6 qt. Instant Pot or you can keep it all together for an 8 qt. pot. Season with salt and pepper.
- Set your Instant Pot to Saute and allow to heat up. Drizze olive oil on the bottom of the pot. When the display says HOT, add your first batch of beef and cook until browned. Remove from pot and set aside if cooking in two batches.
- Brown the second batch of beef. While it browns, add in the flour and stir gently to combine, scraping along the bottom.
- Add the first batch of beef back into the pot and stir to combine.
- Pour in wine, broth, Worcestershire, garlic, rosemary branches and bay leaves. Stir gently to combine.
- Seal lid on Instant Pot and switch to Soup mode for 15 minutes.
- When the timer sounds, do a quick pressure release and remove the lid.
- Add in the potatoes, diced onion, carrots, and sun-dried tomatoes. Check your seasoning and add salt & pepper as desired. Stir gently. Replace lid, seal, and set on Soup setting for 30 more minutes.
- Quick pressure release when the timer sounds.
- Remove lid and set the pot to Saute. Allow to simmer and thicken for a few minutes, stirring until it reaches the desired thickness. Remove rosemary and bay leaves before serving.
- Enjoy with the rest of that wine, if you have any left!