I am not up on fashion, so I couldn’t honestly tell you if fanny packs are in or out. What I can tell you is that my fanny pack has been a game-changer bringing new hands and shoulders-free freedom to my life.
It all began with a gift exchange between my college roommates and myself. One day, a package arrived at my door, and I found myself the owner of a brand new pink fanny pack!
The first thing I did was wonder how I could possibly get everything I needed into this tiny little purse-like pack. I mean, I’ve spent years carrying around ALL THE THINGS for my kids.
Thankfully, I am past the stage of diapers and bottles. So, I decided to pare down. I went through my purse and determined what I actually NEED. Full disclosure, I put all the things that didn’t make it into my fanny pack right back in my giant purse. (There are times when you just need that purse and all its treasures.)
Over several months, it took some trial and error to truly hone in on what I believe to be essential for my fanny pack. But after several hikes, the beach, the zoo, sports classes, play-dates, etc., I feel pretty good about my supplies.
Here are my tried and true fanny pack essentials (many available on Amazon!). Check them out if you’re interested in joining the hands-free club.
- Band-Aids and a packet of antibiotic ointment.
- A small pack of Kleenex.
- Lip Balm.
- Emergency Snack. Generally, I keep a small granola bar or a pack of fruit snacks in my fanny.
- Antibacterial hand wipes or small hand sanitizer.
- When traveling alone or to areas less known, I pack my She’s Birdie. This is a great personal safety device (developed by women!) that even my kids can use in case of emergency.
- ID, Zoo pass, a small amount of cash, a quarter in case I visit Aldi, and a credit card. I’m still in search of a small wallet to keep these items in. Currently, I use a small Ziploc Bag.
- Gum or mints.
- Bug Repellent Wipes
I’m now the go-to mom at the park. My fellow mamas look to me and my fanny pack to provide wipes, band-aids, Kleenex, and other essentials to get us through our adventures.