I am waaay too hard on myself. In my mind, if I am not making it happen 24/7, somehow I am failing. My parents, being my biggest supporters and brutally (kind) honest people that they are, often remind me that I need to take a break. I promptly respond with the classic “I’m not tired!” through tears…just like I did when I was a tiny girl. “There there Mel, there there,” they say, patting my back. But it’s not a “there there” in a disappointed way, it’s a “there there, we have been where you are and if you don’t take some time for yourself you are going to lose your mind.”
Confession time — I have forgotten how to take care of myself. My life revolves around my daughter, which I wouldn’t change for anything and I am in no way complaining, but this momma needs some me-time!
Can I get an amen?
Here’s some reminders on how to care for YOU, the amazing woman and mother that you are.
TAKE TIME TO GET A TEA OR COFFEE, INDULGE! AND PAIR IT WITH A DANISH:
I’m a sucker for Starbucks, but more times than not, exploring new coffee/tea houses is my way to spend time inside my own head.
Le Cafeé Bistro – S30W24896 W Sunset Dr
Cafe de Arts – 136 E St Paul Ave
Mama D’s Coffee – 928 N Hartwell Ave (They also have a location at 104 Main Street in Wales)
Cafe 213 – 213 E Main St. Waterford
The Roots Coffee Bar and Cafe – 124 E Wisconsin Ave
Gingerbread House – S63W16147 College Ave
Anodyne Coffee – Three locations: Walker’s Point, Bay View, and Milwaukee Public Market, see website for specific addresses.
Rochambo Coffee & Tea House – 1317 E Brady St, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
TAKE TIME TO ENJOY NATURE:
Head to a park (take a field trip without children!!) to inhale and exhale a lot of fresh air. Pick something close to you or head to another part of town to ensure that the kids won’t find you! A favorite for me is to go to the numerous different music in the parks to listen to bands and read a book.
Here’s some of my favorite parks!
Whitnall Park and the Botanical Gardens, peaceful benches for reading and beautiful gardens to enjoy.
Milwaukee Pierhead Lighthouse and Lakeshore State Park, trails for walking near the lake.
Schlitz Audubon Nature Center, great for seasonal fall hiking, located in Milwaukee County.
Retzer Nature Center, also great for seasonal fall hiking, located in Waukesha County.
TAKE TIME TO LEARN SOMETHING NEW:
- Pick up a new hobby that is solely yours! Ideas for you — kickboxing (my personal favorite), running, reading, DIY projects, photography, gardening, etc.
- Libraries are packed full for adult time too, not just sitting the the comfy bean bags in the children’s section. There are events with local authors, book clubs to join, knitting and puzzles groups to attend, mini sessions about poetry writing or computer skills, the list is never ending! BONUS: Some libraries offer kid time in the children’s section while Mommy takes time to read poetry in the quiet corners of the building.
TAKE TIME TO READ A BOOK:
You will quickly learn that books are my thing. They are my close friends. No judgment, Mommas, no judgment. So, after you listen to that local author at the library, grab a book on your way out.
Book Ideas for the Upcoming Season:
- The Blind Side by Michael Lewis: Two sides of town brought together by football and family.
- Jesus Feminist by Sarah Bessey: “An Invitation to Revisit the Bible’s View on Women”
- Mom’s One Line A Day: Write your own book over the course of five years. This book allows you to write one line a day, a memory, an event, a quote from a child, for you to remember forever.
I mean, in reality, you could grab a coffee to drink while you are at your session at the library and hit the park after with the book you picked up. See? It’s so simple to imagine me-time. Now, the trick is making it happen. And note this: there is nothing wrong with locking yourself in the bathroom with a glass (or bottle) of wine, lighting some candles, and just laying in some hot water.
Nothing wrong with that at all.
What are your favorite ways to take time for YOU? Are you a good book and a glass of wine kind of gal or are you craving a Target target trip all by yourself?