Healthcare is an essential part of family life, but it can often be frustrating, confusing, and even intimidating. For many, the inequalities in the healthcare system place additional stresses on making sure their family is well cared for, plus there are other factors like “white coat syndrome,” language barriers and then in 2020….a global pandemic. All of this adds up to increased challenges standing in the way of staying as healthy as possible in a time when we need it most.
This year, we partnered with Ascension Wisconsin to create a video series that zeroed in on Women’s Health in particular in these tough times. We asked a lot of the questions that are on the minds of many parents regarding their routine checkups to the way prenatal visits and births are happening in 2020. We were introduced to several new providers, heard about the expanded labor and delivery facilities, and so much more.
We are excited to share these resources with you and encourage all local parents to take care of themselves and their health in these challenging times. If there are barriers standing in your way, there are resources available to help and we are here to support you as well.
Women's Health Q&A with Ascension Wisconsin
As the Coronavirus hit in full force back in March, we found ourselves in uncharted territory — parenting in a pandemic. None of us had done this before and especially for those who were pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or would soon be giving birth, there were far more questions than answers. We sat down for several conversations with Ascension care providers to ask the questions YOU wanted answered!
What happens if I am COVID-19 positive when it’s time to deliver my baby?
How have protocols changed for attending my appointments during COVID-19?
Should I be delaying any of my appointments during the pandemic?
Are there financial arrangements that can be made so I don’t have to interrupt my care even though my employment situation has changed due to the pandemic?
Meet the Providers
- Dr. Emily Lombard: Emily Lombard, DO, FACOG, is a physician with Ascension Medical Group. She provides obstetrics and gynecology care to females from adolescents through menopause. The comprehensive care she provides ranges from well visits to high-risk and complex obstetric and gynecologic problems. She has a special interest in minimally invasive procedures, office procedures, LARCs and LGBTQ care. She believes in treating her patients as she would have any of her family and loved ones treated and to comprehensively care for women throughout all stages of their lives.
- Dr. Rachael Persons: Rachael Persons, MD, is an obstetric and gynecologic physician with Ascension Medical Group. She has a special interest in infertility evaluation, high-risk pregnancy, family planning, and minimally-invasive gynecologic surgery. She believes that excellent healthcare begins with patient education. Education allows each woman to become an active participant in her own healthcare.
- Shannan Cantu Santoli, CNM and Greta McCool, CNM: Shannan Cantu Santoli, CNM is a Certified Nurse-Midwife with Ascension Medical Group. She became a midwife because she believes in the value of women supporting women. She has a special interest in developing long term relationships with her patients in order to support their goals to maintain or achieve overall wellness and positive self care. She hopes to provide care where communication is the basis for forming the best health plan, whether that be to support physiologic birth or wellness goals. | Mrs. McCool has a special interest in the mental health of reproductive aged women and breastfeeding. She provides gynecologic and pregnancy care and she is interested in supporting and promoting physiologic birth. She also promotes breastfeeding by supporting breastfeeding mothers and providing personalized education to her patients.
- Dr. Kate Roberts: Kate Roberts, MD, is an obstetric and gynecologic physician with Ascension Medical Group. She provides compassionate and personalized care to women of all ages. Dr. Roberts has a special interest in high-risk obstetrics, adolescent gynecology, preventative care, and gynecologic surgery. She has a goal to empower women to be actively involved in their own health care through education, collaboration, and trust.
Q&A with Dr. Emily Lombard, DO, FACOG
Q&A with Dr. Rachael Persons, MD
Q&A with Ascension Certified Nurse Midwives
Q&A with Dr. Kate Roberts, MD
What Are You Looking for in a Care Provider?
When we asked local moms and moms-to-be what they were looking for in a quality care provider, especially for their pregnancies and births, we saw many of the same answers come up over and over again:
- Really getting to know my provider and feeling like they know and understand me
- Someone who gives you options and allows you to make the best choice for your needs
- Letting me voice my concerns, listens to what I am saying, and empowers me in my advocacy for my own health
- Being able to trust in the team that is supporting my doctor
- Patient-centered, compassionate care
With these qualities in mind, we would love to take a moment to introduce you to several Ascension Providers who are currently accepting new patients and would love to get to know you. We know choosing a doctor can be a bit like dating (stressful, a lot of trial and error, wondering if you should shave your legs……) so starting this process from the comfort of your home virtually is both safer in 2020 and more comfortable for you!
Meet the Ascension Care Providers
- Dr. Liliana Palencia – Her areas of practice include high risk obstetrics, robotic minimally invasive surgery, preventative care, general women’s health, maternal morbidity and caring for vulnerable women. She is also fluent in Spanish. Her practice will take place at both Ascension Columbia St. Mary’s on the Lake in Milwaukee and Mequon. LEARN MORE AND BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
- Dr. Kathryn Carnahan – Dr. Carnahan sees patients at Ascension Medical Group – 3040 North 117th Street, Ste 200, Wauwatosa. LEARN MORE AND BOOK AN APPOINTMENT.
- Krista Shorey, NP – Krista works at Ascension Columbia St. Mary’s Milwaukee – Shorewood. LEARN MORE AND BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
- Tyler Boschuetz, MD – Tyler Boschuetz, MD, is an obstetrics and gynecologic physician with Ascension Medical Group. He has a special interest in high-risk obstetrics, minimally-invasive gynecologic procedures, and robotic surgery. He wants to help all women be the healthiest they can be. Whether it be guiding them during pregnancy and delivery, treating their gynecologic problems, or seeing them at a yearly exam, he wants to make sure they understand all options available. LEARN MORE AND BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
No matter who you trust with your healthcare, now is definitely the time to invest in making sure you and your family are well cared for and comfortable with a healthcare provider who aligns with your values, meets your needs, and provides you with the kind of quality care you need and deserve. Be sure to inquire about COVID safety protocols, the availability of tele-medicine and other unique offerings during this unusual time.