"Human Trafficking worldwide is know as a hidden crime, but it's hidden in plain sight."
Episode 7 – What Parents Need to Know about Human Trafficking
January is Human Trafficking Awareness Month and this episode is full of valuable information for parents regarding what trafficking means, the language used to describe it, the risk factors and red flags, as well as crucial details every parent needs to understand about human trafficking
In this episode, we dispel some of the myths that are out there about human trafficking, identify some red flags parents should watch for, and how parents can parent from a place of love rather than fear.
Episode #7 - Show Notes
Human trafficking is the trade of humans for the purpose of forced labor, sexual exploitation, and/or slavery. Even though slavery has been abolished, human trafficking still exists. Human trafficking is the modern-day form of slavery. Researchers estimate that some 21 million people are enslaved worldwide.
FEATURED BLOG CONTENT:
- Human Trafficking in Milwaukee 101 by Melania
- The Red Flags of Human Trafficking: Keeping Your Student Safe by Melania
- How Intentional Parenting Can Help Prevent Human Trafficking by Melania
- Your Child Has Already Been Targeted: 7 Things You Didn’t Know about Human Trafficking from Military Moms Blog
- What’s Happening with Human Trafficking Legislation in Wisconsin
- The Papaya Podcast Episode 19: The One About Escaping Human Trafficking with Markie Ethier
- End it WI Collective Collaboration for Organizations
- Polaris Project
- National Human Trafficking Hotline 1 (888) 373-7888
- UMOS Milwaukee
- R.U.B.I.E.S Milwaukee – RUBIES mission is to reach at-risk girls through education and mentoring to prevent them from becoming victims of abuse, exploitation, and sex trafficking while restoring those who have been affected by unimaginable trauma.
- Exploit No More
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Did We Just Become Best Friends? (Milwaukee Momcast Ep. 2) with Melania Klemowits
- Mod Gen
- Ethical Trade Co Tea
Episode #7 - About Our Guest
Raised in the Milwaukee area, Melania has always had a heart for humans. Once upon a time a teen mom, she wings her way through motherhood with chocolate, her mom tribe, and all the love. A sought-after local speaker and advocate for the victims of human trafficking, Melania truly has a heart for her fellow humans. Melania believes that labels should be twisted into good, Pinterest is a form of self-care, and Instagram is the best of social media platforms. Her days are spent balancing her career, drinking chai tea, reading good books, and adventuring with her daughter, Yara.