"The crime belongs to the john. The crime belongs to the pimp. The crime does not belong to a child."
Episode 8 – When Women Fight for Families
In this episode, we sit down for a chat with a woman who is on the front lines of fighting for families in Wisconsin, State Rep. Robyn Vining. As a mom, small business owner, co-founder of an anti-trafficking nonprofit, and now as a legislator, she is living proof of what can happen when women get curious, bold and brave enough to move moves for change.
We talk about modeling citizenship for our kids, the advice she would give to other moms who are considering public service, as well some of the battles she is fighting in the anti-trafficking world now on the lawmaking stage.
January is Human Trafficking Awareness Month and, combined with Episode 7, we hope this conversation with Rep. Vining helps us understand that all of us can be part of the action steps to combat the spread of trafficking.
We chat with Rep. Robyn Vining about how Awareness, Advocacy and Aftercare are only the beginning when it comes to stopping human trafficking.
Episode #8 - Show Notes
Making a better world for our children means keeping them out of corners, staying curious, and fighting for all families.
January 30th Town Hall Meeting with Rep. Vining:
FEATURED BLOG CONTENT:
- Human Trafficking in Milwaukee 101 by Melania
- The Red Flags of Human Trafficking: Keeping Your Student Safe by Melania
- How Intentional Parenting Can Help Prevent Human Trafficking by Melania
- Your Child Has Already Been Targeted: 7 Things You Didn’t Know about Human Trafficking from Military Moms Blog
- Simon Sinek – Start with Why
- WI State Assembly Committee for Children & Families
- How to Find Your State Representatives
- More info on the Safe Harbor Bill in Wisconsin
- Safe Harbor: State Efforts to to Combat Child Trafficking
- Polaris Project
- National Human Trafficking Hotline 1 (888) 373-7888
- Exploit No More
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Episode #8 - About Our Guest
REP. ROBYN VINING
Raised by a dedicated public school teacher and a world-class financial consultant, Representative Robyn Vining was raised to value a compassionate and pragmatic approach to life. Rep. Vining is a former pastor turned entrepreneur who has spent the past nine years building her own small business for photography in Milwaukee.
Rep. Vining is a founding board member of Exploit No More, which works to end child sex trafficking. She is also a founding member of Help Portrait Milwaukee and the Milwaukee Portrait Project, initiatives that serve some of the city’s most vulnerable citizens.
Rep. Vining is currently serving as a representative for the 14th district in the Wisconsin State Assembly.