With lots of things changing this summer, I know we’ll be looking for different and fun things to do. As a kid, my parents would always take us on day trips around the state and they are some of my favorite memories. Sometimes, we would just drive around to explore, this is something I still do. Here are some scenic drives to go on to get out of the house and explore from the safety of your car.
In and around Milwaukee
- Parkways! Milwaukee has a few that are great to drive through, my favorite are the Menomonee River Parkway and the Root River Parkway. If you are able to, park along the Menomonee River Parkway around Hartung Park to check out some wetlands and trails along the river. Lots of bird watching too!
- Whitnall Park- This is one of my daughter’s favorite places to drive to around dusk because we (almost) always see a group a deer.
- Lincoln Memorial Drive north to Lake Drive- Start at Veteran’s Park and drive north along the lakefront onto Lake Drive. This will take you all the way to Bayside and its a great drive to check out gorgeous (huge!) houses along the lakefront.
- Grant Park Dr. into the Oak Creek Parkway- Awesome winding road and if you have time, stop at Seven Bridges for a little hike.
A Little Further Out
- Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive– A 115 mile stretch of road, easy to pick up somewhere along the way. My favorite is the section in the Holy Hill area.
- Rustic Roads- Wisconsin also boasts multiple rustic roads. There are quite a few in the southeastern Wisconsin area. Read more about what a Rustic Road is and where they are located here.
These next ones are great if you have older kids that might be able to entertain themselves a bit more and don’t need bathroom breaks every 30 minutes.
- Mt. Horeb area- fun little town to drive through south west of Madison. Look for the trolls!
- New Glarus- Drive along the New Glarus Woods State Park and check out where Spotted Cow is made.
- Wisconsin Great River Road- Now this one will definitely take some planning, with stops and bathroom breaks. This a U.S. scenic highway that follows the Mississippi River along the edge of the state. It is a gorgeous drive!
These are some ideas just to get started. Search an area that you would like to explore and see what roads/drives are around there. Or, one of my favorite things, just get in the car and drive! A change of scenery helps a ton; so pack a picnic and figure out your destination. You and your kids are sure to have a great time exploring the city and beyond! Do you have a favorite scenic drive not listed? Share it in the comments!