If you are looking for a fun day trip with free things to do we want to recommend The Wisconsin Veterans Museum in downtown Madison. You don’t want to miss this gem of a museum full of rich history. The Wisconsin Veterans Museum has a mission to acknowledge, commemorate, and affirm the role of Wisconsin Veterans in the United States of America’s military past and present.
The exhibits connect history from the Civil War to present day through the stories of Wisconsin veterans in permanent exhibits and traveling exhibits. For example, in the exhibit ‘The Souvenirs of Service’ you can view the things service members kept – from the mundane to the unique.
Can’t make it to the museum? No problem! Honor our veterans with virtual tours of the following:
- The History of the Museum – Learn the origin of the Wisconsin Veterans Museum and why it tells the stories of Wisconsin Veterans from the Civil War to today.
- USS Wisconsin – Learn the history of one of the two Navy vessels that has our state’s name.
- UH-1 “Huey” – Discover the history of the 1964 helicopter that served as a gunship in Vietnam.
- Watercolors of Corporal John Gaddis – Documenting the Civil War
- In My Spare Moments: The Art of Harold F. Schmitz – Exhibit featuring the collection of artwork, handwritten letters and oral history of his military experience as a map maker.
You can also attend one of their virtual events that include: trivia, movie night, book talks, drink & draw events and conversations with the curators. The museum is a host to a number of ways to connect virtually.
Gift Shop Details
Bring the history home with a souvenir from their gift shop. The shop features numerous military and historic memorabilia, as well as books and videos. You can celebrate the veteran in your life with a souvenir or take home something for yourself.
The Wisconsin Veterans Museum is located on the Capitol Square in downtown Madison. It would make a perfect place to drop in during the day of exploring the city. What makes this museum even better is that it is free admission. When you are thinking of ideas of how to beat the heat this summer or surviving the cold winter months put this attraction on your list!
Address + Hours
30 W. Mifflin St. Madison, WI 53703
Tuesday – Thursday + Saturday from 10am to 5pm; Friday 10am to 6pm and Sunday (April-September) Noon to 5pm