(Milwaukee, WI): Managed by Milwaukee Recreation, Hawthorn Glen is a treasure that can easily be missed in the Wauwatosa/Milwaukee border area. The nature center is conveniently hidden in an urban setting, located just north of 60th and State Street in Milwaukee. Older kids can explore the woods, a restored prairie and the Little Nature Museum.
Hawthorn Glen includes 25 acres of green space — and a great playground, along with some trails.
What is Hawthorn Glen?
- A home for many native wild animals and plants
- 25 acres of woodland, prairie, fen, and open space
- A hands-on nature center that over 12,000 children attend each year with their schools and families
- A place for families to enjoy various outdoor activities
- A place for scouts to learn about and assist in outdoor education programs and community service projects
- Operated by Milwaukee Recreation
1130 North 60th Street, Milwaukee
Little Nature Museum
Visit the Little Nature Museum and see animals native to Wisconsin, including tree frogs, several species of turtles, snakes, many birds and even a hawk.
- Monday-Friday: 4-5 p.m.
- Saturday & Sunday: 11 a.m. – 12 p.m. & 3-4 p.m.
Admission is FREE!